Wednesday, February 22, 2012

When I'm Under the Pile

photo courtesy

One of my most hated sensations is that of being “under the pile”. So much to do, and the knowledge that it can’t possibly all be crammed into the available time slots. 

I think one day I woke up and realized that being an adult meant frequent bouts with this sensation. I still haven’t come to terms with it. I’m not one of these people that relishes being super, super busy, yet I often have to face that reality nonetheless.

Perhaps no generation has been as busy, bombarded, involved, pulled, hurried, and hassled, as the present one. Ironically, we have more and more time saving devices at our finger tips, and yet less and less time.  

Here are a couple of thoughts I try to keep in mind whenever I’m having one of those overwhelming days. (or 5 or 6 or 10 of them!)

1. Stop and ask God for wisdom. 

If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.” (James 1:5)

So many times when I just ask, the Lord will give me a game plan to go by--one that I wouldn’t have thought of otherwise. Sometimes the Lord will reveal an activity that I can drop, much to my relief and the easing up of my schedule. God has a way of helping me sort and re-order my priorities.

I will bless the Lord, who hath given me counsel…” (Psalm 16:7)


2. Focus on praising the Lord! 

Sing, put on music, offer thanksgiving, praise Him for the task at hand…

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” (1 Thessalonians 5:18)   

Oh that men would praise the Lord for his goodness, And for his wonderful works to the children of men!” (Psalm 107:8)

I try to remind myself that the feeling of accomplishment I look for in finished tasks is not what gives my life meaning. Having a clean house, the dishes done, dinner ready by noon, lessons studied and completed, emails answered, calls made, people visited--these are all wonderful things, but they are not what gives purpose to my life. Almost as soon as ever they are finished, they will be undone again, waiting for me to tackle them once more. If that’s all there is, then something is missing.  
The purpose of my life--of any life--is to bring praise and glory to God. What better way to bring Him glory than to offer up praise? And, as an added plus, it’s almost impossible to feel anything but happy while doing it. :) So put on some music, sing, or pray a prayer of thanksgiving while you're washing those dishes!

“Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me…” (Psalm 50:23)

3. Evaluate and Blitz.

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might….” (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men.” (Colossians 3:23)

Make a plan. Set a timer. Race against yourself or agains the kids, for fun. Get up early. Get the hardest thing done first. Do the best you can, with your might, and then rest when it’s time to rest. All those unchecked to-do’s will hold. 

And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.” (Galatians 6:9)


Image: digitalart / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Image: Michelle Meiklejohn / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...