Well, actually, it's a favorite all-year-round salad. I sort of threw it together one day last winter when lettuce was scarce, and it turned out to be a keeper. Since it uses napa cabbage, it's really helped to beef up our winter menu options. In my humble opinion, the combination of flavors is just fantastic. So here ya go!
Napa Cucumber Salad
- 4-5 cups napa cabbage, sliced thinly (or just eyeball the amount you want for your family)
- 1 large cucumber, cut into chunks
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped finely
- 1 apple (of a sweet variety, like gala), cut in bite-size chunks
- 1/3 cup almonds, toasted and chopped (don't skip the toasting, it makes this so good!)
- Ranch dressing to suit (I use the homemade version below)
Toss the veggies, apple and nuts together in a large bowl. Add dressing and stir to coat. Serves 6-8.
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. dill
- 1/2 tsp. dried green onion
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. each of salt and pepper
- water to suit
Combine all ingredients, adding enough water to reach the desired consistency.