Thursday, January 12, 2012

This is Jesus Christ

While I'm not big on making New Year's resolutions, I often, come late December or early January, find myself thinking seriously about the direction of my life. This year was no exception.

A couple of weeks ago, I was sitting by the twinkling Christmas tree with my Bible in hand, alone and uninterrupted (somewhat of a rare occurrence!). I don't even remember if I was praying, or if I was reading this or that passage, but one thing is distinct in my mind. God was impressing something on my heart, something that needed to be at the top of the priority list for 2012.



As I looked at the Bible in my hand, one thought kept coursing through my mind: "It all comes back to this Book." "This Book is the crux of everything." 

It began to dawn on me that anything we call a relationship with Jesus--growing spiritually, learning more of His ways/Word, developing character, loving Him more--all comes back down to one thing: His Word.

This Book is Jesus Christ.

If I want to draw closer to Christ, it is primarily through this Book. If I want to know Him more, and live for Him better, it is through this Book. As I partake of its words, I am partaking of the Lord Jesus Christ Himself.

The Bible is God's one tangible gift to me that enables me to take hold of Him. Jesus is given to me in a form that I can hold, touch, read, think about, memorize, taste and DO.

I knew as I sat there that my mental diet needed to have some excess fat trimmed out of it: excess social stimuli, too much time indulging my flesh by sitting idly by wanting to be entertained, too much thought spent on things that don’t matter (or worse, that harm). I needed to push all of that aside and focus. God was gently reminding me of a priority far above all the rest.

I appreciate a quote I came across recently, in a book by a friend of mine, Natalie Wickham. She was quoting a family friend when she wrote:

"It matters not how much you are in the Word, but how much the Word is in you." ~Pajama School

This really brings it all into focus. The important thing is not the number of verses read, the chapters ticked off and completed, or an attainment to someone's perception of spiritual gianthood. The important thing is attaining Christ Himself.

May He, through His Word, be our pursuit in 2012!

And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.” (Revelation 19:13)










2 comments:

  1. This post really spoke to my heart. I think you took the words right out of my mouth. The Word of God is not just an ordinary book and when I started reading it with that thought in mind it came alive to me like never before in my 22 years of being saved. (Ps. 143:8)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise the Lord! That thought has stayed with me when I read as well. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...